5,859
People's Journal

People's Journal

Climate change

THE Filipino people should all welcome the implementation of various government programs aimed at addressing the growing threats and likely impacts of climate change.

For one, these programs show the government’s resolve to deal decisively with extreme weather conditions, according to the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR).

For another, the implementation of these programs is seen to enable the people and the environment to bounce back more easily from the negative impacts of climate change.

Under President Duterte, the government has shown its steadfastness in protecting the country’s water resources and ecosystems, said DENR Secretary Roy A. Cimatu.

In fact, the DENR and other concerned state agencies are involved in the ongoing rehabilitation of pollution-challenged Boracay Island, which has been closed to tourists since April 26.

So far, the government has cleared a number of illegal structures built on areas classified as forestlands and wetlands in Boracay.

It is important to emphasize the need to enhance the resilience of ecosystems and communities as part of government efforts to mitigate the effects of changing climate.

Since July last year, the DENR has been working towards improving the country’s forest cover, rehabilitating mined-out areas, conserving coastal and marine resources and enforcing environmental laws.

Cimatu presented DENR’s major accomplishments during the pre-SONA presentation of the Cabinet Cluster on Climate Change Adaptation, Mitigation and Disaster Risk Reduction (CCAM-DRR).

Tomorrow, President Duterte is set to deliver his third SONA (State-of-the-Nation Address) before the joint session of Congress at the Batasang Pambansa in Quezon City.

Various quarters said the DENR and other concerned government agencies need the support of the public in addressing the growing threats and likely impacts of climate change.

Nagsasayang lang tayo ng oras, pera at laway kung hindi tutulong si Juan dela Cruz sa gobyerno.

Magkatapat

In-announce na ng GMA-7 na sa July 30, after 24 Oras ang pilot ng Victor Magtanggol ni Alden Richards at makakatapat nito ang Probinsyano ni Coco Martin.

Magkaiba ang tema ng dalawang shows at mas bata ang target viewers ng GMA-7, kaya naniniwala silang susuportahan at panonoorin ang Victor Magtanggol.

Nag-post na rin ng BTS sa taping dito at sa ibang bansa ang GMA-7 at nakita namin ang mga eksena nina Alden at Coney Reyes na gaganap na kanyang ina. May mga eksena rin si Janine Gutierrez at iba pang aktor na nakasama sa shoot abroad.

Sa presscon, malalaman pa ang ibang cast ng Victor Magtanggol at makikita ang may mga special participation na sina Conan Stevens, Natalia Moon at Fabio Ide na gumaganap na hari at reyna.

Ipinasilip sa 24 Oras ang in-charge sa visual effects at kung ano ang kanilang ginagawa para mas mapaganda ang Victor Magtanggol.

* * *

Ni-like ni Sharon Cuneta at napa-“yay!” si Mariel Rodriguez at nag-post ng okay emoji si Angel Locsin sa ibinalita ni Robin Padilla na hindi nagpabayad si Bb. Joyce Bernal sa pagdidirek ng SONA ni President Rody Duterte bukas.

Post ni Robin, “Kapag para sa INANGBAYAN hindi ka dapat BINABAYARAN!!! Malalim na pagpupugay sa iyo binibining Joyce Bernal isa kang halimbawa at ilaw sa lahat sa aming nasa industriya at rebolusyon. Mabuhay ka at ang ating panata.”

Sa interview sa kanya, sabi ni Direk Joyce, ready na siya sa bashers at nagbiro itong “kayo kaya ang magdirek.”

* * *

Sa week 6 ng Amazing Earth, ang mysterious jungles around the world ang i-explore ng infotainment show hosted by Dingdong Dantes, napapanood after 24 Oras Weekend sa direksyon ni Rico Gutierrez.

Mapapanood ang segment na Nagtatagong Ganda, Palakang Palaban, Liwanag sa Dilim, Makulay na Manliligaw at Kantahan sa Kagubatan.

Mahahanap din ni Dingdong ang mysterious laughing cicadas ng Mount Banahaw sa Quezon Province at makakausap ni Dingdong ang Amazing Earth hero who led a group of scientists who discovered and identified the unique species.

  • Published in Showbiz

Fiba: Aussies didn’t incite brawl

The Australian basketball body welcomed the Fiba’s finding that no discrimionatory or racist language was used by the Boomers, nor did it start the brawl that marred the Australia-Gilas Pilipinas World Cup qualifier early this month.

“We welcomed Fiba’s ruling in its report that no discriminatory or racist language was used the the Australian Boomers,” Basketball Australia Chief Executive Officer Anthony Moore told journalists in Melbourne on Thursday.

Moore said the finding the Boomers did not incite the incident as has been alleged was also welcomed.

In the wake of the brawl, both teams apologized to fans for bringing the game into “disrepute” with the fight, which resulted in 13 player ejections.

Basketball’s governing body FIBA on Thursday handed own hefty fines and suspensions over an ugly on-court melee in Manila between the Philippine and Australian national teams during a World Cup qualifier.

Thirteen players and two coaches were suspended for unsportsmanlike behaviour and a total of $360,000 in fines issued, with most of the sanctions against the Philippine hosts of the July 2 match.

The crew officiating the game, which degenerated into wild punches and flying kicks before stunned spectators, were also suspended from competition.

Shocking footage showed chaotic scenes, including a white-shirted attacker who appeared to slam a chair onto an Australian player as he was set upon by up to a dozen people.

“FIBA wishes to emphasise that it condemns any form of violence, both on and off the court,” it said in a statement.

“Respect, sportsmanship and professionalism are expected from players, coaches, officials.”

What was already a bad-tempered game erupted in the third quarter when Philippine player Roger Pogoy knocked Australia’s Chris Goulding to the ground and Aussie Daniel Kickert retaliated by flattening Pogoy with a flying elbow.

In Thursday’s ruling, Ten Gilas Pilipinas players were suspended, including a five-game stretch for Pogoy and two of his teammates over the violence hashtagged #basketbrawl as footage and condemnation went viral.

Switzerland-based FIBA hit the Philippines basketball federation SBP with a fine of 250,000 Swiss Francs ($250,000) and another 10,000 Francs against against head coach Vincent Reyes, who was accused of urging his players to fight.

“In a way I think FIBA has been quite fair in the process,” SBP head Al Panlilio told journalists in Manila. “Honestly, it (the punishment) could have been much worse.”

The violence in Manila, which made international headlines, left the Australian team fearing for their safety, and they sought embassy help to fast-track their departure from the Philippines.

Only three players from the Boomers side were suspended, with the heaviest sanction of five games out handed to Kickert. Basketball Australia, the national federation, got a 100,000 Swiss Franc ($99,800) fine.

Jail time

SEOUL -- Disgraced South Korean president Park Geun-hye was convicted of charges including illegally receiving funds from the country’s spy agency on Friday and given eight more years in prison, on top of her current term.

Park, the South’s first female president, was impeached last year after huge street protests over a sprawling scandal, and was jailed for 24 years for corruption and abuse of power in April.

Friday’s penalty -- issued in her absence after she refused to attend the Seoul Central District Court -- came after a separate trial for pocketing money from the National Intelligence Service (NIS) and improperly intervening in 2016 in the selection of her ruling party’s parliamentary candidates.

The Seoul Central District Court gave Park six years for taking 3.3 billion won ($2.9 million) from the spy agency, and two years for the electoral offence.

The penalties apply consecutively, meaning the 66-year-old now faces a total of 32 years in prison.

“The accused received some three billion won over three years from the three NIS chiefs. Through this crime, the accused incurred a considerable amount of loss to the state treasury,” said senior judge Seong Chang-ho at the Seoul Central District Court.

Three former NIS chiefs testified they had funneled the funds to Park on her orders, the court said.

The judge rebuked Park, who denied the charges, for being “un-cooperative” throughout the court hearing and questioning by prosecutors.

Park allegedly squandered the taxpayer money on maintaining her private house, financing a boutique where her secret confidante Choi Soon-sil -- the central figure in the corruption scandal -- had Park’s clothes made and other private purposes, including massage treatment.

Choi was found to have taken advantage of her “long private ties” with Park to extort bribes worth millions of dollars from businesses including telecommunications giant Samsung and retail conglomerate Lotte.

She is serving a 20-year sentence for abuse of power, bribery and meddling in state affairs.

  • Published in World
Subscribe to this RSS feed