THE Philippines will resume negotiations with Kuwait this week on what Manila hopes would be a model labor agreement that would provide strong guarantees on the safety and welfare of Filipino household service workers.
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said an eight-member Kuwaiti delegation will be in Manila from March 15 to 16 for the negotiations on the proposed “Agreement on Domestic Workers’ Recruitment, Employment, and Protection Between the Government of the Republic of the Philippines and the Government of the State of Kuwait.”
“We are looking forward to the conclusion of this bilateral agreement that we hope will be a model document in terms of providing the necessary guarantees to ensure the safety and well-being of our household service workers in Kuwait,” Foreign Secretary Alan Peter S. Cayetano said.
Cayetano issued the statement on Monday evening shortly after he and Labor and Employment Secretary Silvestre Bello III met at the Manila Hotel with foreign affairs and labor officials involved in the negotiations.
The Secretary said the Philippines should go beyond the usual in the negotiations with Kuwait, noting that bilateral labor agreements Manila had previously entered into with other countries looked good on paper but could not be effectively implemented.