No dU30 again at edsa fete

  • Written by Efren Montano
  • Published in Top Stories
  • Read: 308
Featured President Rodrigo Duterte President Rodrigo Duterte

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte will skip once again the celebration of EDSA People Power Revolution on Sunday.

The National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) made the confirmation after the rehearsal for the 32nd anniversary of the historic event that led to the ouster of former President Ferdinand Marcos.

“Naimbita po natin ang Pangulo at sumulat siya sa akin. May importanteng lakad daw siya sa Mindanao kaya hindi po siya makakadalo,” said NHCP chairman Dr. Rene Escalante.

In a statement last year, the President said “the spirit of EDSA does not belong to one sector or one group of people, but to all Filipinos who believe in freedom and a democratic way of life.

“No single party, ideology, religion, or individual could claim credit for the bloodless revolution at EDSA, in the same way that no single party, ideology, religion or individual could claim a monopoly of patriotism,” he said.

The Chief Executive said the EDSA commemoration should be a “perfect time for all of us to reflect and objectively assess what we have lost and what we have gained as a nation since that historic event.”

Last year, Duterte, who openly admits having close ties with the Marcos family and who allowed the burial of the late President at the Libingan ng mga Bayani, also did not attend the commemoration of the bloodless revolt.