APART from enemy snipers still holed up in some parts of Marawi City, security troops are being confronted by a far more greater danger: ISIS-inspired Maute extremists who have blended with civilians fleeing the city and going to much safer neighboring areas including Iligan City in the aftermath of the fighting since Tuesday last week which have already left at least 100 people, a dozen of them government troops, dead.
The threat has prompted police and military troops to place Iligan City under security lockdown and to check the civilian evacuees for possible presence of wounded Maute guerrillas. A curfew has also been imposed in Iligan City from 8 in the evening up to 5 in the morning.
Several suspected Maute gunmen who have mingled with civilian evacuees have been apprehended by soldiers and turned over to the police for investigation.
Aduca also mentioned that the curfew in Iligan City 12 has been expanded, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
As of yesterday morning, officials said that over 13,000 Marawi City residents have been evacuated to different government-run centers in the city while more than 42,000 others have fled to nearby municipalities.
Quoting a report from the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao Crisis Management Committee, Philippine National Police spokesperson, Chief Superintendent Dionardo B. Carlos said that 24 evacuation centers in the city are now housing 30,602 persons belonging to 6,288 families.
The committee said that more than 2,300 families composed of around 11,600 persons have been displaced as a result of the Maute group attacks.
There were also some 2,280 persons who remain stranded in 25 different barangays in the city.