PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte may sign an executive order against contractualization on or before Labor Day.
Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said yesterday that Malacañang has yet to come up with a final version of the executive order to be signed by Duterte in response to the labor groups’ call for a ban on contractualization.
Labor groups had said they were invited to the executive order’s signing later today, but the event had been canceled.
“I can only surmise that the final version of the EO has not been agreed upon by labor, management and government. It’s a tripartite document which has to be agreed upon. Possibly they don’t have a final version yet,” Roque said at a news conference.
Ending contractualization was one of Duterte’s promises during the 2016 election campaign, a vow Roque said the President “wants to deliver to the people very soon.”
“I would suppose because it is a promise given by the President to labor groups that it would be an EO that will side with the labor forces,” the Palace official said.
On April 2, the Palace said the government cannot meet the demand of labor groups for a total ban on contractualization because such would need legislation.