ACTING Chief Justice Antonio Carpio yesterday said he will decline all nominations to replace Ma. Lourdes Sereno whose removal from her post via quo warranto was upheld by the Supreme Court last Tuesday.
Speaking on ANC’s Headstart Wednesday, Carpio said he will formally decline the nomination once the Judicial and Bar Council starts the process for applications for the post of chief justice.
“On a personal level, because I voted against it, I don’t want to benefit from it so I will decline any nomination. I have to be consistent with my position that the quo warranto was not the correct or proper way to remove a sitting member of the Court,” Carpio said.
Carpio was one of the six justices who dissented from the majority ruling removing Sereno from her post.
Though he voted against Sereno’s removal, Carpio said she committed culpable violation of the Constitution when she failed to submit all her statement of assets, liabilities and net worth when she applied for the chief justice position in 2012.
Carpio who was named to the SC on 2001 is set to retire from the judiciary in 2019.
President Duterte has 90 days under the Constitution within which to choose Sereno’s replacement from a list to be submitted by the JBC.
The SC meanwhile endorsed four aspirants for the looming vacancy in the high court due to the retirement of Associate Justice Presbitero Velasco Jr. this August.
During their en banc session, the justices voted and selected Court of Appeals Associate Justice Rosmari Carandang with 10 votes from the 14 justices, followed closely by Court Administrator Jose Midas Marquez with eight votes.
CA Associate Justices Jose Reyes and Ramon Garcia also made it to the list with six votes each.
The list would be forwarded to the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) for their consideration in coming up with a shortlist to be submitted to President Duterte.
Under the rules, the SC may endorse nominees but it would still be up to the JBC to consider the list or not.
Apart from the four on the list, the eight other aspirants for the SC vacancy are CA Associate Justices Ramon Bato, Ramon Hernando, Apolinario Bruselas, Oscar Badelles, Manuel Barrios and Amy Lazaro-Javier; Judge Carlos Espero RTC Davao City; and former Ateneo College of Law Dean Cesar Villanueva.
I’m clean — Bello
Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III yesterday clarified that he has no pending criminal and administrative cases before the Office of the Ombudsman.
Appearing before the Judicial and Bar Council, Bello belied reports that he has a slim chance of being shortlisted for the Ombudsman because of these supposed cases.
Bello was one of the candidates publicly interviewed by the JBC to replace retiring Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales.
To support his claim, Bello presented a clearance from the Office of the Ombudsman stating that he has no pending administrative and criminal cases.
“After I learned the news that I may be disqualified, I asked the Ombudsman (on the status of the complaint),” Bello said.
Bello is one of the candidates eyeing the Ombudsman post. The others are SC Associate Justice Samuel Martires, Sandiganbayan Associate Justice Efren dela Cruz, Special Prosecutor Edilberto Sandoval and lawyers Edna Herrera-Batacan, Rey Nathaniel Ifurung, Rainier Madrid, Felito Ramirez and Rex Rico.
New Sandigan, CA members
President Rodrigo Duterte has named two new justices of the Court of Appeals and Sandiganbayan, Malacañang announced yesterday.
Duterte appointed Caloocan City Regional Trial Court Judge Georgina Dumpit-Hidalgo to the anti-graft court Sandiganbayan, replacing retired Justice Rodolfo Ponferrada. Dumpit-Hidalgo is the president of the Philippine Judges Association.
Cavite judge Emily Aliño-Geluz, meanwhile, took over the post vacated by retired Court of Appeals Justice Leoncia Dimagiba last December.
Dumpit-Hidalgo and Aliño-Geluz’s appointment papers were dated January 18 and April 30, 2018, respectively.
The two had been chosen from the shortlist prepared by the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC), which is mandated by the Constitution to screen applicants for any vacancy in the judiciary and the Offices of the Ombudsman and Deputy Ombudsman.
The JBC is headed by Acting Chief Justice Antonio Carpio.