6,883

No Pinoys affected in California wildfire

THE Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said no Filipinos so far have been affected by the wildfire in Northern California but is closely monitoring the situation of close to 2,000 Filipinos in the area.

Residents in the path of the dangerous wildfire have been ordered by authorities to evacuate to ensure their safety.

The DFA said the Philippine Consulate General in San Francisco is advising members of the Filipino Community in Lake County to heed evacuation orders after California Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency in the affected area.

Consul General Henry Bensurto said there are more than 1,700 members of the Filipino Community in Lake County, located 178 kilometers from the state capital, Sacramento.

Bensurto said the Consulate has been in touch with authorities in Lake County who said that no Filipino has so far been reported to have been affected by the fire.

The fire, which broke out on Saturday evening, has scorched 11,500 acres of land, destroyed a number of homes and businesses and forced the evacuation of 3,000 residents.