No Filipinos in gun attack, ferry sinking

September 24, 2018
Injuries in Ahvaz Iran Attack

THE Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) yesterday said no Filipinos were among the dead and wounded when gunmen killed 29 people in an attack during a military parade in the southern city of Ahvaz in Iran on Saturday.

The DFA also extended its sympathies to Iran and expressed hope that those behind the attack that also wounded as many as 60 soldiers and civilians would be brought to justice.

Ambassador to Iran Wilfredo Santos said the Philippine Embassy was able to contact eight members of the two Filipino-Iranian families based in Ahvaz, located near the Iraqi border some 820 kilometers southwest of Tehran.

The Embassy was informed all of them were safe and in their homes when the incident happened.

Meanwhile the Philippines expressed its condolences to Tanzania after an overloaded ferry capsized in Lake Victoria on Thursday, leaving more than a hundred people dead.

In a statement, the DFA conveyed its sympathies and expressed hope that more survivors would be found.

In his report to Foreign Secretary Alan Peter S. Cayetano, Ambassador to Kenya Norman Garibay said the Philippine Embassy in Nairobi continues to monitor the search and rescue efforts.

He said the Embassy has so far not received any report of Filipinos among the casualties in the tragedy.

Garibay said there are 289 Filipinos in Tanzania.