Trillanes safe in meantime

September 15, 2018
Antonio Trillanes IV

NOBODY is interested in arresting Senator Antonio trillanes IV, President Rodrigo Duterte said Thursday, as the former Navy officer remains wary that he would be arrested if he leaves the Senate building in Pasay City.

Trillanes has been holed up in the Senate for more than a week now since Duterte issued Proclamation No. 572, voiding the senator’s presidential amnesty and ordering his arrest.

“Nobody is interested to arrest [him]. The military does not have the interest. I do not have the interest. He can stay there as a boarder,” Duterte told reporters in a press briefing at Camp Aguinaldo in Quezon City.

During a Cabinet meeting in Jordan last week, Duterte said he would “abide by the rule of law” and wait for the court to issue a warrant before Trillanes is arrested.

“I said, do not arrest [him] until there is a warrant of arrest by the court,” Duterte said.

Duterte’s Proclamation No. 572 directs the Department of Justice (DoJ) and the Court Martial of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) “to pursue all criminal and administrative charges” against Trillanes, a fierce critic of the President.

Trillanes questioned the presidential order before the Supreme Court, which junked on Tuesday the senator’s plea for a temporary restraining order to stop the implementation of Proclamation No. 572. The SC referred the matter to the lower court.

“Wala man ang military. It has not constituted the (court martial). It’s only the civilian court but there is no order so if there is no order yet it is difficult to meddle,” according to the President.

Destabilization

President Duterte said the police and military “will have to face the crisis” over whether or not to take part in the supposed destabilization plans against him.

In a press conference at Camp Aguinaldo in Quezon City Thursday, Duterte reiterated his allegation that the Magdalo group is working together with the Liberal Party and the communist movement to oust him.

He, however, said he will not do something about the supposed threat because he is not a “squatter” in Malacañang even as he is confident that the uniformed men will not venture to oust him from Malacanang.

The Liberal Party and the Magdalo group however have denied involvement in the alleged plot to oust Duterte.