Roque has video campaign ad for 2019

October 09, 2018
Harry Roque
Harry Roque

PRESIDENTIAL Spokesperson Harry Roque yesterday bared that he had shot a campaign ad for his possible 2019 Senate run over the weekend, despite President Rodrigo Duterte saying last week he is unlikely to win.

Roque told Palace reporters in his briefing that the video was planned and paid for “months ago.”

“It was shot [over the weekend] because it has been paid for. I have paid for it months ago,” he said.

“We’ve had plans, and whatever has happened in the last few days, it was a major deviation from our plan.”

Roque said Duterte has been calling him “senator” for the past months, “virtually endorsing my bid for the Senate.”

In a speech last week, Duterte said Roque, a former human rights lawyer, should not push through with his Senate bid as he is likely to lose, noting his unpopularity among soldiers.

Roque, however, said he has yet to decide whether to pursue his Senate bid or not since he is still talking it over with Duterte. He admitted he was “taken aback” by Duterte’s statement.

“It was game changing, there was change in tone... I think we had an agreement I would be doing this (Senate bid) ahead of time. That is why I am discussing my future plans with the President,” he said.

Roque said he doesn’t think Duterte was serious with his statement. He also said he doesn’t believe the military dislikes him.