President Rodrigo Duterte’s trip to Kuwait may no longer push through.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the President is seriously reconsidering pushing
through with the said trip following the invitation of the Kuwaiti government to visit the Gulf
It will be recalled that the Philippine government declared a total deployment ban to Kuwait
after reports of persistent abuses and maltreatment of our migrant workers there.
Roque did not give other details of the change of mind of the President regarding putting
off the Kuwait visit
Kuwait ambassador to the Philippines Saleh Ahmad Althwaik earlier conveyed the invitation
to Duterte following the bilateral meeting of the two officials last week.
Later on, a total deployment ban in Kuwait was declared by the President after the discovery
of a Pinay inside a freezer for about a year.
Labor chief Silvestre Bello also said the Kuwaiti government refuse to sign the memorandum
of agreement (MoA) for additional protection of our migrant workers there.
Meanwhile, the ban on the deployment of OFWs to Kuwait which President Rodrigo Duterte
ordered in reaction to the reported deaths and abuse of several Filipinos there is now being enforce
in all international airports and seaports nationwide.
This was learned from Marc Red Mariñas, the port operations division chief of the Bureau of
Immigration (BI), who has directed Julius Caesar Feria, head of the bureau’s travel control and
enforcement unit (TCEU), to instruct his men in all the ports to be doubly vigilant in assessing and
monitoring departing passengers.
Mariñas said a stern warning was also issued to immigration officers in all the ports that
anyone who engages in the escort racket will be suspended and eventually dismissed from the service
for gross misconduct. According to Mariñas, all immigration officers have been directed to prevent
the departure of OFWs to Kuwait and that in the absence of any directive to the contrary, the ‘Balik
Manggagawa’ or returning OFWs to Kuwait is also covered by the said prohibition.
Mariñas said BI Commissioner Jaime Morente on Monday ordered an immediate enforcement of
the ban and for the conduct stricter immigration formalities on all departing passengers.
Both officials said a rigid inspection of all departing Filipino passengers is necessary to
thwart any attempt by illegal recruiters to circumvent the ban and facilitate the exit of Kuwaiti-
bound OFWs through the notorious escort racket at the airport.