Makati DILG chief says Junjun Binay ‘perpetually disqualified’
VOTERS in Makati City are not certain of finding the name of former mayor Jejomar Erwin ‘Junjun’ Binay in the list of official candidates for next year’s midterm polls after the local office of the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) reported he is “perpetually disqualified” from seeking any public office.
In a letter to DILG NCR director Juan Ingeniero and DILG Officer-In-Charge Eduardo Año dated October 9, 2018, Atty. Cherry Canda-Melodias, DILG Makati City director, pointed out that the perpetual disqualification against the former mayor and 11 other city hall officials was a result of the decision of the Ombudsman over the graft cases filed against them during the previous Aquino administration.
The cases, in turn, arose from the purported “anomalous” bidding for the construction of the Makati Science High School (MSHS), Phases 1-4 that was awarded to Hilmarc’s Construction.
Melodias noted that based on the Ombudsman decision, the younger Binay and his co-accused were already meted out the penalty of dismissal from service, that also carries the accessory penalty of perpetual disqualification from holding public office.
Melodias also reminded the DILG central office that the accused were charged with ‘Dishonesty,’ ‘Grave Misconduct’ and ‘Conduct Prejudicial to the Best Interest of the Service’ for awarding the MSHS contract to Hilmarc’s.
Melodias added that the Ombudsman had already served copies of the decision to all the accused in all their known addresses.
The Ombudsman said Junjun and his co-accused conspired to falsify bidding documents and suppress information from other prospective bidders for the contract to be hastily awarded to Hilmarc’s.
Graft investigators further found the respondents liable for violating government procurement rules for posting fake invitations to bid in news publications.