PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte confirmed he will appoint PNP chief Director General Ronald ‘Bato’ dela Rosa as Bueau of Corrections head after his retirement in January.
Duterte made the confirmation at the Christmas party he hosted for the Malacañang press on Tuesday night. However, a late report said dela Roas’s term at the PNP has been extended by the President by three months so he can help supervise the extended martial law in Mindanao.
“Yes,” Duterte responded when asked if Dela Rosa would be the next head of the BuCor.
Dela Rosa had said he had already accepted Duterte’s offer to put him in the “most challenging job in the government... where everyone failed.”
“I don’t run away from challenges lalung lalo na kung ang magbigay sa akin ng challenge ay ‘yung mga tao na pinakarespetado ko na tao. Talagang I will take on the challenge. Hindi ko siya ipapahiya, gagawin ko ang lahat ng makakaya ko,” he added.
Dela Rosa will reach the mandatory retirement age of 56 in the PNP on Jan. 21, 2018.He is expected to be replaced by Deputy Director General Ramon Apolinario, the PNP’s second-in-command.
The outgoing PNP chief earlier said the President would be giving him the “most challenging” position in government, where everyone else had failed.
“The most challenging na trabaho sa gobyerno. Sabi niya, ‘where everyone failed, I expect you to succeed.’ Napakabigat na trabaho niyan. Sige imagine-in ni’yo na lang ang pinakamahirap na trabaho,” he told reporters Tuesday.
Duterte named Benjamin delos Santos as his first BuCor chief but the latter left his post amid reports of continued drug proliferation at the New Bilibid Prisons.