JOHN Paul Solano, one of the suspects in the hazing death of UST freshman law student Horacio Castillo III who misled investigators by initially claiming that he found the victim’s body dumped in Tondo, will remain in the custody of the Manila Police District (MPD) pending the filing of charges against him, expected to take place tomorrow before the Department of Justice.
As of this writing, Supt. Erwin Margarejo, spokesman of the MPD, said they are awaiting the notarized waiver of detention signed by Solano with the assistance of his lawyer, along with his prepared statement which he said can be a ‘breakthrough’ in the Castillo case.
Solano, he said, had signed a ‘waiver of detention’ meaning he will remain at the MPD, adding that the 36-hour reglementary period within which a case must be filed against Solano had begun. The MPD had said it will be filing charges of violation of the anti-hazing law and perjury against Solano.
He also explained that Solano’s surrender also meant his arrest and that the 36-hour period to have him undergo inquest proceedings began at 5 p.m. yesterday.
Margarejo said if Solano opts to name the participants in the hazing of Castillo, it will be a major breakthrough.
Following his surrender Friday afternoon, Solano had been made to undergo normal booking proceedings. He has denied any participation in the initiation rites that killed Castillo, claiming he was merely tapped to provide assistance being a medical technologist and also a member of the Aegis Juris.