8,858 guests

Ralph Trangia comes back

  • Written by Itchie G. Cabayan
  • Published in Metro
  • Read: 433
Raplh Trangia and his mother were being asked by immigration officer Joey Escobar regarding their travel documents, upon arrival at the NAIA immigration office. Photo by: Jerry S. Tan Raplh Trangia and his mother were being asked by immigration officer Joey Escobar regarding their travel documents, upon arrival at the NAIA immigration office.

RALPH Trangia, one of those tagged as one of the possible suspects in the hazing death of UST law freshman student Horacio ‘Atio’ Castillo III and who flew out of the country a day before a lookout bulletin was issued against him and several others, has returned.

Ralph and his mother Rosemarie flew in at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 1 at 11:41 a.m. yesterday, aboard Eva Air flight BR-271 from Taipei.

The two were whisked to the immigration office where they were assisted with their travel documents  by immigration officer Joey Escobar.

According to Ports Operation Division chief Marc Red Marinas, their office earlier received information from the Taiwan Immigration that the Trangias were on their way back to the Philippines, so necessary preparations were made in connection with the lookout bulletin earlier issued against Ralph.

Marinas said there is no warrant of arrest against Trangia and the immigration just facilitated their arrival, adding that he is free to go as normal passengers in the absence of a warrant.

It will be recalled that the name of Ralph surfaced after the ownership of the red Strada vehicle that took Castillo to the Chinese General Hospital was traced to his father, Antonio Trangia. Both Ralph and Antonio are said to be officers of the Aegis Juris Fraternity, the organization that subjected Castillo to initiation rites which resulted in his death.
At the height of the issue, Ralph and his mother headed for Chicago via Taipei. They left a day before the Department of Justice issued a lookout bulletin order against those who are possible suspects in the Castillo killing, which included Ralph.
Meanwhile, a source from the immigration said Rosemarie acted normal while Ralph appeared tense while at the airport immigration office, awaiting the processing of their travel documents while their lawyer waited for them outside.
Ralph returned home just as authorities are working on bringing him back via extradition.
The Manila Police District (MPD) failed to get any statement from Ralph Trangia, who did not only decline its invitation but also refused an offer to be taken home, instead opting to go with his lawyer and relatives.
It was learned that among those who met Trangia at the NAIA Terminal 1 upon arrival was MPD-Homicide chief Senior Insp. Rommel Anicete.
In a press conference, MPD spokesman Chief Insp. Erwin Margarejo said the police only wanted to convince Trangia to fully cooperate in the probe being done on the hazing death of Castillo, where he (Trangia) is one of those possible suspects.
The camp of Trangia, meanwhile, said he will face and answer all charges  being levelled against him in conection with the death of Castillo.
Meanwhile, Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II yesterday welcomed the return to the country of Ralph Trangia.
“The return to the country of Mr. Ralph Trangia is a welcome development in our ongoing quest for justice for the death of Atio Castillo.
“Hopefully, Mr. Trangia’s return is covered in good intentions to clear his name and to tell the truth,” Aguirre said in a statement.
But Aguirre hinted that Trangia might become a state witness “depending on what he will tell our investigators.
“...And for this reason, the DoJ offers to him and to his family, the protection of our Witness Protection Program (WPP),” he added.
He was charged with murder and violation of the Anti-Hazing Law, along with several other Aegis Juris Fraternity officers and members involved in the fatal initiation rites of Castillo.
With Hector Lawas