MPD Station 10 detainee dies of extreme heat

  • Written by Itchie G. Cabayan
  • Published in Metro
  • Read: 393

A detainee, who was said to have been unable to bear the extreme heat at the detention cell of the Manila Police District-Station 3 at the Central Market in Manila, died recently.

It was learned that Ricardo Yanguas, 51, of 1652 Yuseco St., Sta. Cruz, Manila, died at around 1 p.m. the other day at the Justice Jose Abad Santos Memorial Hospital in Binondo, less than two weeks after his arrest.
A probe by PO2 Jonathan Bautista of the MPD-Crimes Against Persons Investigation Section (CAPIS) showed that Yanguas was arrested last June 10, 2017 for alleged shabu possession, along with four others.
His live-in partner, Elizabeth Soriano, 38, told probers that prior to his arrest, Yanguas had been suffering from asthma.
While in detention, his condition reportedly worsened and at 6:38 p.m. of June 17, 2017, he had to be rushed to the hospital after complaining of breathing difficulty.
He received treatment but reportedly died the following day due to respiratory failure triggered by pneumonia and bronchial asthma.
Meanwhile, three unidentified men were found dead in separate places in Manila the other day.
PO3 Jeffrey Laus of the MPD-CAPIS said that at around 5:30 p.m., the body of a certain ‘Pabuhaya’, of 677 Madrid St., Binondo, was found near the construction site where he worked.
Security guard Roderick Garrote told probers he last saw the victim alive at around 11 a.m. while getting off a tricycle drunk. He was not allowed to enter the construction site and was instead led to a chair to rest, where he slept. However, moments later, he was found to be dead already.
Homicide prober PO2 Jonathan Ruiz said that at around 5:50 p.m., a certain ‘Tata Ben’ was also found dead inside his home located at Gate 54, Area C, Parola Compound in Binondo. He was last seen alive at the Gat Andres Bonifacio Memorial Medical Center where he had a checkup and went home.
A report from PO2 Marvin Valenzuela of the MPD-Station 5, meantime, said that at 9:30 p.m., a still unidentified man was found dead by the security guard of the Western Union at the corner of Pedro Gil Street and Taft Avenue in Ermita, right in front of the establishment.