Hotel fire contained after 25 hours, 5 die

  • Written by Itchie G. Cabayan
  • Published in Metro
  • Read: 326

AFTER 25 long hours, the fire that struck the Waterfront Manila Pavilion Hotel and Casino located
at the corner of  Maria Orosa Street and United Nations Avenue in Ermita, Manila and killed at
least five persons, has been finally contained. 

In a joint press briefing by the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (Pagcor),
Manila Police District (MPD), Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) and officials from the Manila
Pavilion, it was learned that the fatalities were identified as Billy de Castro, Edilberto Braga
Evangelista, Marlyn Omadto, John Mark Sabido and  Cris Sabido, all employees either of the hotel
or Pagcor. 

First to have been declared as fatalities were De Castro, Evangelista and Omadto.  John
Mark and Cris were initially reported as missing but were later found to have been dead already.                                                                                    
Carmelita Valdez, assistant vice president and head of the corporate communications
department of Pagcor, said that Jen Figueroa, also of Pagcor, is not dead, contrary to some
initial reports.                                                                         
It was learned that some  reported Figueroa as among the dead but was actually revived by
doctors, although she remains under observation as of this writing. Valdez said Figueroa is being
monitored and they are hoping for her to survive.
Meanwhile, still confined at the Manila Doctors Hospital are 16 persons who were wounded.             
Manila Fire Supt. Jonas Silvano said the fire was finally under control at around 8

a.m.and declared ‘fire out’ at 10:56 a.m. yesterday, after it struck at 9:42 a.m. the other day.                                                                                                      Arson probers said the cause of fire is yet to be ascertained although initial information
gathered say that it started at the ground floor where construction materials are kept.  It was
learned that welding works are being done as part of renovation and that the sprinkler system of
the said hotel failed to function, so that the flames spread quickly. The hotel management denied
all these and asked the public to await the final and official report from the BFP.