Court denies bail for EDSA bully

September 18, 2018

A MAKATI City judge has recommended no bail for arrested infamous EDSA ‘bully’ Arnold Aquino Padilla whom he also ordered transferred to the Makati City Jail from the National Capital Region Police Office detention facility in Camp Bagong Diwa, Bicutan, Taguig City during the pendency of his case, NCRPO chief Director Guillermo Lorenzo T. Eleazar announced yesterday. 

Judge Josefino Subia of the Makati City Regional Trial Court Branch 138 on Thursday last week issued the decision upon finding probable cause against Padilla after personally evaluating and examining the information and its attachments, including the sworn statements of the witnesses and the resolution of the prosecutor who handled the case against the accused.

On the other hand, the Makati judge set a P48,000 bail for the provisional liberty of Padilla’s co-accused, his bodyguard Alfie Bautista Ortiz, whose licensed firearm was among those recovered inside the latter’s residence which was raided by the NCRPO last month.

Eleazar said Ortiz was also ordered transferred to the Makati City Jail by Judge Subia. In his order, the court official set the arraignment and pre-trial of the accused this coming Friday morning.

In his order, the judge said, ‘Let a commitment order be issued instead of a warrant of their arrest for their transfer to Makati City Jail, Makati City’ as he agreed with the prosecutor’s resolution recommending no bail for the provisional liberty of Padilla since ‘the court finds it to be well-taken.’

Eleazar earlier said that Padilla would be locked up in a common cell for criminals in Camp Bagong Diwa  once his blood pressure stabilizes. NCRPO doctors are closely monitoring Padilla’s blood pressure amid observations that he is feigning illness and deliberately not taking his medicines.

The NCRPO chief had said that the suspect, thru the help of his battery of lawyers, is making all legal moves to avoid being hauled to a prison cell. Eleazar lamented two weeks ago that Padilla’s lawyers, and not doctors, are giving updates on the businessman’s condition.

Two weeks ago, the suspect was formally discharged from the Philippine National Police General Hospital in Camp Crame after his health condition improved and was immediately brought to the NCRPO for detention on charges of illegal possession of firearms and explosives, the NCRPO chief said.

Tagged Under