6,799

Asthmatic charred in Pasig fire

  • Written by Arlene Rivera
  • Published in Metro
  • Read: 350

A 58-year-old man reportedly suffering from asthma was charred to death when trapped inside his
burning house during the three-hour fire in Pasig City more than an hour before welcoming 2018.

Reports gathered at the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP-Pasig City) identified the fatality as
Elmer Lanora, 59, of 70 Katarungan St., Bgy. Caniogan.
    
Supt. Arturo Marcos, Pasig City fire marshal, said Lanora, said to be asthmatic, was charred
beyond recognition when recovered by firemen at the first floor of his house in Bgy. Maybunga.
    
Senior Insp. Anthony Arroyo, Pasig Fire Investigation chief, said the fire broke out at
around 10:55 p.m. on New Year’s Eve at the two-storey house of Lanora.
    
According to Arroyo, the victim was alone in his house after his live-in partner went to
Tagaytay City to welcome the New Year and left him because he cannot travel due to his condition.

Before the fire broke out, the man was reportedly cooking meal for media noche when his
“Super Kalan” or gasolito suddenly burst into flames as he allegedly left it due to asthma attack,
Arroyo told People’s Tonight.
    
The fire immediately spread to the house of Lanora and other adjacent houses in the area.
    
The victim, who cannot walk or run outside, was trapped inside.
    
In a matter of hours, the fire that reached third alarm razed 15 other houses in the area.
    
Firefighters were able to contain the blaze and declared a fire out at 12:05 a.m. on New
Year’s Day.
    
An estimated P2 million worth of properties were damaged and at least 40 families were left
homeless.
    
The Pasig City government is now providing assistance to the affected families.