1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
8 ounces fettuccine (or pasta of choice)
4 ounces pancetta, diced or 4 ounces bacon cut into 1 inch pieces
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 cup (2 ounces) parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
Plenty of fresh, cracked black pepper
Salt to taste
1 Tbsp parsley, chopped
* Toss the cauliflower and mushrooms in the oil, salt and pepper, place on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast in a preheated 400F oven until they start to caramelize, about 20-30 minutes, mixing half way through.
* Start cooking the pasta as directed on the package.
* Cook the pancetta in a pan, pour off all but a tablespoon of the grease from the pan, add the garlic, cook for 30 seconds and turn off the heat.
* Mix the egg, cheese, pepper and salt and parsley in a bowl.
* Drain the cooked pasta reserving some of the water.
* Mix the pasta, egg mixture, cauliflower and mushrooms into the pan with the pancetta, adding reserved pasta water as needed.
* Note: To speed things up, about 20 minutes into roasting the cauliflower and mushrooms, get your pot of water for the pasta on the stove and start bringing it to a boil.
Option: Replace the parmigiano reggiano with pecorino romano. (Closet Cooking)