Oplan: Tokhang will be brought to homes or studios of movie and TV personalities who won’t ‘surrender’ voluntarily -- PNP chief
THE Duterte government’s massive war on illegal drug trafficking and abuse will spare no one, even showbiz personalities on the radar of authorities for involvement in illegal drug activities, Philippine National Police chief Director General Ronald ‘Bato’ M. de la Rosa said yesterday.
Fresh from a week-long visit to Colombia, the PNP chief guaranteed that celebrities including movie and television personalities who are into illegal drugs will not be exempted from the ongoing PNP Oplan: Tokhang which may even be brought to their homes and workplaces.
“Pag ibinigay sa akin ng Presidente iyung listahan na iyun, i-Tokhang natin sila. I-Tokhang natin sa kani-kanilang bahay, kanya-kanyang TV station, ‘surrender na kayo kasi identified kayo na drug user,” he said as he maintained there is no reason for celebrities to be exempted from the drug operations.
Gen. de la Rosa said that the crackdown against drugs will exempt no one, regardless of their stature in society. As of Sunday, police nationwide have visited over 1.2 million houses including those inside gated subdivisions and villages and posh condominiums as authorities aggressively carried out PNP Oplan: Tokhang.
“Tinokhang nga natin iyung mga high-end na subdivisions, sila pa na public figures sila,” he said.
However, the PNP chief said he is yet to see the list of at least 50 celebrities included in President Duterte’s 3rd and final list of drug personalities in the country as claimed by Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption chairman Martin Diño.
Diño, the incoming Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority chairman revealed that at least 10 celebrities on the list are suspected pushers while the rest are mostly party drugs users.
“Iyong iba nakikita na natin tapos merong mga bago, lalung-lalo na mga bata. Ang ganda ganda ng buhay mo tapos sisirain ka lang ng droga,” Diño said.
The anti-crime watchdog’s revelation came in the wake of a Journal Group report that several local celebrities have been placed under surveillance by the PNP for their involvement in illegal drug trafficking and abuse.
Two weeks ago PNP officials called on showbiz, music and sports personalities who are into drugs to yield and submit themselves to a treatment program.
Officials said a number of actors have been monitored to be actively involved in drug pushing and abuse, some of them already with previous drug-related arrests while some have been apprehended in the past by rogues in uniform but were released after coughing up huge amount of money.
PNP Anti-Illegal Drugs Group director Senior Superintendent Albert Ignatius D. Ferro confirmed they have been monitoring some celebrities in drugs whose names have cropped up following an operation in San Pedro City, Laguna last month which resulted in the killing of a man believed to be a top supplier of drugs to showbiz stars.
“We’re asking celebrities in drugs to turn themselves in to us just like the thousands who have surrendered to the PNP in line with the ongoing Oplan:Tokhang or they will be our next target,” said Ferro.