5,287 guests

Odicta couple’s slay reenacted, no CCTV record, no witness yet

  • Written by Alfred P. Dalizon
  • Published in Provincial
  • Read: 275

THE Philippine National Police Special Investigation Task Force ‘Odicta,’ led by Police Regional Office 6 director Chief Supt. Jose L. Gentiles, yesterday conducted a reenactment of the daring gun attack which took the lives of suspected Iloilo drug lord Melvin “Boyet” Odicta Sr. and his wife inside the Caticlan port in Malay, Aklan, last Monday.

The reenactment was done as investigators expressed suspicions that the two were killed either by a ‘drug syndicate’ or their ‘protectors’ who knew that they could have identified them when the couple met Interior and Local Government Secretary Ismael Sueno in Manila Friday last week.
“We believe that one of the possible motives behind the killing of the couple was their alleged disclosure of a list of drug personalities in Western Visayas which they reportedly divulged to Sec. Sueno,” Gentiles said.
The Western Visayas police director also noted that there is a strong possibility that other known drug personalities in Panay Island are afraid that their past association with the Odictas could spell their doom.
“PRO6 values the life of every individual and respects human rights and due process of law. We appeal to the public who has a direct knowledge of the incident to come out in the open and help our investigation so that justice will prevail,” he said.
Gentiles is supervising the investigation into the incident amid a Palace order to go deeper into the identities and motive of the killer and the persons who ordered the successful ‘hit job.’ He is being joined by Aklan Police Provincial Office director Senior Supt. John Mitchell Jamili in probing the case.
“We are conducting an in-depth investigation into the incident as part of our effort to identify and arrest the suspects and charged them in court,” he said.
Other members of the task group are PRO6 deputy regional director for operations Senior Supt. Alfredo Valdez and representatives from the Aklan police, the local Criminal Investigation and Detection Group, the Crime Laboratory and the Aklan police.
The reenactment started at 10 a.m. and ended two hours later. As pieced out by investigators, a man armed with a cal. .45 pistol first shot Mrs. Odicta before turning to her husband. Odicta managed to run a few steps but was felled down by gunfire. When he fell down, he crawled  and collapsed near a covered walkway.
Gentiles said the gunman’s pistol apparently jammed as indicated by an ejected live .45 ammunition and a magazine recovered at the crime scene. He said that by coincidence, members of the Aklan Police Provincial Public Safety Company, who were conducting a checkpoint near the area, arrived at the scene within five minutes and two of them carried the female Odicta to a passenger cab while two others carried the unconscious Melvin to the left rear seat of their pick-up.
Gentiles said the rest of the team scoured the scene and even went inside the 2Go M/V St. Padua but failed to make any arrest. The victims were taken to Malay Municipal Hospital in Bgy. Motag which is about 2.5 kilometers away from the scene.
Upon arrival at the hospital, attending physician Dr. Michael Dipakakibo did not make any effort to move the bodies from the vehicle apparently recognizing that they were already dead. A funeral crew later arrived ang get the bodies of the couple.
Gentiles said their investigation also showed that there is no available CCTV camera at the scene of the attack. The port only has two CCTV cameras -- at the main entrance and exit.