4,652 guests

Drug war nets 28K drug suspects so far

  • Written by Alfred P. Dalizon
  • Published in Nation
  • Read: 237

THE number of wanted drug personalities captured alive by Philippine National Police agents since last July 1 rose to nearly 27,800 yesterday with 1,550 armed suspects being killed after exchanging fire with officers during the period, the PNP reported yesterday.

PNP spokesman Senior Superintendent Dionardo B. Carlos said that as of 6 a.m. yesterday, there were already a total of 27,609 wanted drug traffickers arrested by PNP operatives across the country in line with the implementation of the Oplan: Double Barrel ordered by PNP chief, Director General Ronald ‘Bato’ M. de la Rosa.
    
Carlos said that during the period, police have conducted a total of 28,858 anti-narcotics operations in line with the Project: Double Barrel’ aimed at accounting for major drug personalities.
    
He said that the PNP Oplan: Tokhang also saw police visiting 1,909,907 houses nationwide and causing the surrender of 738,193 drug personalities composed of 53,469 drug dealers and 684,724 confessed drug users.
    
The massive anti-drug crackdown launched by the Duterte administration has also resulted in the reduction of the drug supply by 80 to 90 percent with nearly 28,000 suspects now in prison after they did not put up any resistance while being arrested.
    
Gen. de la Rosa said the nearly 28,000 known drug personalities who are now in jail, majority of them facing non-bailable charges for violation of Republic Act 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002, is proof that police will only shoot once their lives are in danger.
    
Since July 1, the war on drugs have claimed the lives of 13 policemen and three soldiers, all killed while going after armed and defiant drug traffickers in the country.
    
Wounded as a result of the anti-drug drive were 40 policemen and eight Armed Forces personnel.
 
The PNP chief credited the massive drug supply reduction to the success of the PNP Oplan: Tokhang and Project: Double Barrel which they launched last July 1 to address illegal drug trafficking and abuse in the country.
    
“The good news is that we have significantly reduced the supply of illegal drugs in the country by some 80 to 90 percent,” Gen. de la Rosa said.
     
“We are posting tremendous gains and slowly but surely winning the streets from the illegal drug menace while removing the fear of crime and violence in the hearts of our countrymen,” he said.