4,576 guests

4 Tanza, Cavite cops face NBI over OFW’s murder

  • Written by Alfred P. Dalizon
  • Published in Provincial
  • Read: 602

FOUR members of the Tanza Municipal Police Station in Cavite accused of involvement in the murder of an Overseas Filipino Worker last month yesterday appeared at the National Bureau of Investigation to answer the allegations against them, officials said.

Cavite police director Senior Supt. Arthur Bisnar said the Tanza policemen complied with the subpoena duces tecum and subpoena ad testificandum issued by the NBI last Friday.
   
“This manifests the stand of the PNP to fully cooperate with the NBI in its parallel investigation into the death of Mark Anthony Culata, an OFW who returned to the country last year,” the official said.
   
Bisnar said that apart from the required testimonies of the accused policemen, they have also submitted the documents required by the NBI’s Death Investigation Division as part of their inquiry into the Culata case.
   
Bisnar assured the public that the Cavite police will not tolerate any misconduct by any of its personnel but at the same time ensured that the inherent rights of police officers, especially those who are being accused of crimes while performing their assigned duties, will be duly protected.
   
The official said that they acted with utmost dispatch in the murder of the young OFW considering that his father is retired Senior Police Officer 2 Baltazar Culata of the Quezon Police Provincial Office.
   
He said a fact-finding committee was organized last September 20 to investigate the case and since then has been converted into Special Investigation Task Group Culata. Bisnar said they have also invited the Culata family to their office to shed light into the incident.
   
Immediately after CCTV footage of the victim being accosted by the accused policemen surfaced, the four were relieved of their duties and disarmed, Bisnar said.
   
The firearms of the four were also submitted to the Philippine National Police Crime Laboratory for ballistic examination to determine if they were the source of the bullets used to kill the victim.
   
Bisnar said the policemen already have formally received a Notification of Complaint and were given by the PNP Internal Affairs Service five days to submit their counter-affidavit.