5,197 guests

Trillanes turns over Matobato to PNP

  • Written by Alfred Dalizon
  • Published in Nation
  • Read: 340
BATO MEETS MATOBATO. PNP chief Director General Ronald Dela Rosa met Senate witness and confessed hitman Edgar Matobato at Camp Crame after Senator Antonio Trillanes IV turned him over. Matobato went through booking procedures. A court issued a warrant of arrest for Matobato after he failed to attend his arraignment last Tuesday. BATO MEETS MATOBATO. PNP chief Director General Ronald Dela Rosa met Senate witness and confessed hitman Edgar Matobato at Camp Crame after Senator Antonio Trillanes IV turned him over. Matobato went through booking procedures. A court issued a warrant of arrest for Matobato after he failed to attend his arraignment last Tuesday.

SELF-PROCLAIMED Davao City assassin Edgar Matobato was turned over to the Philippine National Police leadership by staunch President Duterte critic, Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV, yesterday.

A warrant of arrest had been issued against the confessed killer by a court for his failure to attend his arraignment for illegal possession of firearms.

Escorted by heavily-armed security men of Trillanes, Matobato was taken to the PNP Criminal Investigation and Detection Group-National Capital Region Office for booking purposes shortly after he arrived at Camp Crame.

The PNP-CIDG headed by Chief Superintendent Roel B. Obusan has gotten hold of the warrant of arrest issued last Tuesday against Matobato by the Davao City Municipal Trial Court Branch 3 after he failed to attend his arraignment last Tuesday.

A P2,000 bail was recommended for his temporary liberty.
   
Matobato has also been sued for frustrated murder by a retired judge in Davao del Sur last September 23.
   
The complainant, Judge Abeto Salcedo Jr., said that Matobato tried to kill him at the Department of Agriculture provincial office on October 24, 2014.
   
Trillanes earlier said that Matobato is in his custody and he is providing him security.
   
“I’m announcing it now I have him in my custody and security so the warrant can pass through me and I will give it to him so there’s no need to look for him, so that there will be no untoward incident,” the lawmaker said.
   
Matobato on Thursday was asked by President Duterte’s son, Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte to produce evidence regarding his claim that the young Duterte ordered the assassination of Cebu-based millionaire businessman Richard King.
   
“Avoid talking too much and instead show me evidence because if it’s my turn to accuse, then I know a senator who uses cocaine. I can expose that,” said the presidential son who claimed he got his information from his and the senator’s common friend.

Matobato safe – PNP chief
   
PNP chief Director General Ronald ‘Bato’ M. dela Rosa said that Matobato will be safe while under temporary police custody, despite the allegations made by the confessed hitman against the involvement of some police officers and men -- active and retired -- in alleged extra-judicial killings in Davao City.
   
The PNP chief went straight to the CIDG-NCR headquarters after a meeting with Korean Ambassador Kim Jae-Shin and at some point spoke with Matobato in Visayan dialect.
   
According to Dela Rosa, he was told by the opposition whistleblower that he was satisfied that he was brought to Camp Crame by Trillanes and that he was very satisfied to see him in person.
   
Dela Rosa said he has instructed his men to make sure Matobato will be safe at all times and is given medical attention for an apparent infected wound.
   
“Gen. Dela Rosa gave me his word. I have no reason to doubt that,” said Trillanes.
   
The lawmaker also vowed to continue to provide security to Matobato in the future.