6,880 guests

Fire caused by overheated cellphone hits Sampaloc area

  • Written by Itchie Cabayan
  • Published in Metro
  • Read: 293

AT least P3 million worth of properties went up in smoke when a fire caused by an overheated cellphone being charged hit a residential area Sunday night in Sampaloc, Manila.

Resident Peter Eugenio said the fire began at the second floor of one of the houses in the area at around 7 p.m. A cellphone which was being charged reportedly overheated. The fire quickly spread within the house and onto the adjacent homes which were all made of light materials.
   
Fireman Crisfo Diaz appealed to the public not to leave anything plugged and unattended, since this practice could cause fire.
   
Around 15 to 30 houses were said to have been destroyed by the fire which was contained at around 11 p.m.