PALAYAN City -- “Totally false, baseless and purely a demolition job against me.”
Thus said Mayor Adrianne Mae J. Cuevas as she defended herself from accusations linking her to the cold-blooded assault that led to the killing of four farmers and the wounding of another in Laur, Nueva Ecija, earlier this month.
In her Facebook account, Cuevas said reports linking her to the so-called “Laur massacre” were farthest from the truth and were the creation of someone who did not know her personally.
The lady mayor appealed to her relatives, friends, fellow public servants and constituents to maintain their sobriety as she condoled with the families of the victims.
“These accusations are totally false and are figments of the imagination of someone who I have no personal knowledge of and who did not know me personally,” she said.
She said she expected the demolition job against her won’t be the last as she called on her followers to keep the faith.
“I hope you will continue to support me. I assure you that I will remain God-fearing,” she said.
Cuevas issued her statements after Kilusang Magbubukid ng Pilipinas president Joseph Canlas tagged her in the September 3 attack.
According to initial police investigation, the four fatalities -- Gaudencio Bagalay, Eligio Berbado, Baby Mercado and Violeta Mercado, all members of the Alyansa ng Magbubukid na Nagkakaisa-3100 (ALMANA), and Angelita Milan -- were constructing nipa huts at Sitio Minakot, Bgy. San Isidro, Laur, when a group of men wielding long firearms indiscriminately fired at them after driving them away from a portion of the military reservation.
Canlas initially claimed that the military may have been involved, a claim which Army’s 7th Infantry Division chief Maj. Gen. Angelito De Leon also earlier categorically denied.
De Leon offered to assist the Philippine National Police in the investigation.