FORMER Philippine National Police officer Cesar Mancao II on Monday surrendered to the PNP Criminal Investigation and Detection Group and told his ex-colleagues he surfaced to face the charges against him.
Mancao, a bemedalled officer of the defunct Presidential Anti-Organized Crime Task Force and member of the Philippine Military Academy ‘Sinagtala’ Class of 1986, is now under the custody of the PNP-CIDG National Capital Region Office.
He surfaced following talks with his ‘mistahs’ headed by PNP chief Director General Ronald ‘Bato’ M. de la Rosa. Another classmate is PNP-CIDG chief Director Roel B. Obusan. Before he surrendered, there had been several reported sightings of Mancao in many parts of the country particularly after President Duterte won the May 2016 presidency. Mancao once failed in his bid to become a representative of Compostela Valley and is known for being an ally of the Duterte administration.
In May 2013, Mancao, charged with the murder of public relations man Salvador ‘Bubby’ Dacer and his driver Emmanuel Corvito in 2000 bolted the National Bureau of Investigation headquarters and was later declared a fugitive by the Department of Justice after he ignored a deadline to yield immediately.
He told then Justice Secretary Leila M. de Lima that he left the NBI custody due to threats on his life and had learned he would be transferred from the NBI to the Manila City Jail where he would be helplessly vulnerable.
Following his escape Mancao allowed himself to be interviewed on several occasions by journalists and claimed he escaped because he was being treated as a suspect in the celebrated Dacer-Corbito case and not a state witness.
Mancao used to be the head of the PAOCTF Luzon under then PNP chief, now Senator Panfilo ‘Ping’ M. Lacson, who himself was charged in connection with the Dacer-Corbito case but has already been cleared of the charges along with another former PNP official, now ex-Senior Supt. Michael Ray Aquino.