TENSION gripped residents in Sta. Ana, Manila and the wards of an orphanage when a bunkhouse being used as barracks by a towing and trucking company in their area caught fire early yesterday morning.
A report from the Manila Fire Department said the fire broke out at 6:05 a.m. and was contained about 30 minutes later.
It was learned that the fire was caused by an electric fan which overheated in one of the rooms at the second floor of the bunkhouse which is being used as barracks by workers of the C.B. Barangay Enterprises Towing and Trucking Services Inc. It is located at Sagrada Pamilya Street in Sta. Ana, Manila and owned by one Cecilia Barangay, who is said to be in the business of renting out trucks, forklifts and machineries.
The nearby Missionaries of the Poor which houses persons with cerebral palsy and abandoned senior citizens was reportedly sent into a frenzy since most of their wards had to be taken out on wheelchairs when smoke began to engulf the orphanage.
Fortunately, no one was killed or harmed during the incident.