6,862 guests

Korean’s arrest bolsters claim of PNP execs

  • Written by Alfred Dalizon
  • Published in Provincial
  • Read: 237

arrest of a South Korean national for murdering his three compatriots in Pampanga last month has bolstered Philippine National Police officials’ assertion that several Koreans staying in the country have been killed by their compatriots and their Filipino accomplices due to personal conflict and business rivalries as investigations showed.

On Thursday last week, Bureau of Immigration officials arrested 38-year old Park Wang-yeol inside his rented apartment in Arista Place, Barangay Dongalo in Parañaque City for allegedly killing his three compatriots, one of them a woman in Bacolor, Pampanga last October 11, barely three weeks after he arrived in the country last September 16.

South Korea’s Embassy in Manila sought the immigration bureau’s help in arresting Park for the murder of Sim Tae-so, Maeng Jung-yeon and Park Young-pi, who were all shot in the head and bore bruises in different parts of their bodies when found in a sugarcane field in Bgy. Maliwalo in Bacolor.

Morente said they are set to deport the suspect to South Korea noting that ‘his continued presence in the country poses a risk to public safety and security.’ However, he said they would have to first check the criminal records of the suspect before issuing an order for his deportation.

So far this year, at least six South Koreans have been killed, their deaths being thoroughly investigated by the PNP on orders of Director General Ronald “Bato” M. dela Rosa who maintained that they have found out that some of these murders were the handiwork of Koreans too.
   
“Meron kaming nadidiskubre diyan na ibang kaso, hindi naman siguro lahat pero karamihan diyan sila-silang mga Koreano ang nag-aaway, nagsisindikatuhan sila. Sila-sila nagpapatayan. Sabihin naman ninyo gumagawa kami ng istorya, totoo po ’yan. Marami pong investigation na lumalabas na ganu’n,” the PNP chief said.
   
Similar cases were also recorded involving many Indian nationals who were kidnapped and killed by their fellow Indians over uncollected huge debts, business rivalries and other personal conflicts, Gen. Dela Rosa said.
   
“Pati ’yung mga Indian na namamatay, kinikidnap, sila rin nagkikidnapan. Sa Davao meron kaming nahuli doon, Indian kinidnap, nahabol namin, nahuli ’yung kidnapper Indian din. Dahil sa transaction nila sa negosyo, siguro nagka-onsehan, nagkalugihan,” Dela Rosa said.
   
The top cop issued the statement last month in the wake of Korean wire reports that the South Korean government sent a team to the Philippines to probe the recent killings of their nationals in the country, the latest of them Jeon Jun Seo alias ‘Henry Seo,’ a creditor and resident of Dreamland in Barangay Pico, La Trinidad, Benguet whose murder is now being investigated by the Baguio City Police Office with the help of the PNP Korean Desk.
   
A Korean news agency quoted an official of their foreign ministry as saying that the personal safety of their nationals in the country is worsening and added that their government has recorded at least seven South Koreans killed in the Philippines this year.
   
However, Gen. Dela Rosa expressed belief  the number was lower compared to previous years.
   
“Noon mataas ’yan pero ngayon since nagstart the war on drugs bumaba ’yan. I tell you iyan ang isa sa mapagmayabang ko sa mga Koreano. Since nag-war on drugs tayo, bumaba ’yung patayan ng mga Koreano. Hindi lang sa Metro Manila, all over the Philippines ’yan,” he said.
   
He clarified that he does not mean that the South Koreans are involved in illegal drugs but because the killers fear the aggressive stance of the police. “Hindi naman involved sa mga drugs ’yung mga tao na ’yan. Merong something diyan, mga negosyo nila na sila sila lang ’yan nagpapatayan. Bumaba ’yung namamatay kasi ’yung mga pumapatay ng Koreano natatakot din dahil agresibo ’yung kampanya ng kapu­lisan,” he explained.