5,030 guests

Banca capsizes: 2 agents drown, cop missing

  • Written by Sonny Sales
  • Published in Provincial
  • Read: 194

TWO civilian agents and a CIDG (Criminal Investigation and Detection Group) operative went missing when a motorized banca capsized due to giant waves spawned by Typhoon Marce in North Coastal Lagonoy, Camarines Sur at 10 a.m. Friday.

Drowned were Tomas Rentoy VII and Isagani Dadis while the CIDG member who has yet to be found was SPO4 Edwin Pagao.

Strong waves lashed the banca carrying 14 CIDG and PNP Provincial Intelligence Branch members who boarded at Tamban Port in Tinambac bound for Garchitorena town off the coast of Ma-pid island in North Lagonoy, throwing all passengers into the sea.

According to CIDG C. Sur head, Chief Insp. Romy Fabia, they swam about 600 meters towards Ma-pid but he became unconscious upon reaching the village shore.

PO2 Noli Pianeo, a member of the PNP Provincial IB, said four of them clung to a floating plastic container until reaching the shore, but Dadis disappeared when he was whipped by the giant waves.
It was reported that the boat owner, Manuel Alarcon, fled after surviving the mishap while his machinist, Raymund Sarmiento, also disappeared.
Other members of the joint police team were found at barangay Ma-pid by Lagonoy and Tinambac town MPS personnel at around 4 p.m. Friday and were brought to safety.
Meanwhile, Lt. Marlowe Acevedo of the Coast Guard detachment in Camarines Sur reported rescuing four crew members of a motorboat and five female tourists who were stranded at a rocky shoreline in Barangay Pandanan, Caramoan town.
The motorboat carrying tourists was on its way back to Caramoan when it developed engine trouble at sea at about 4:30 p.m. Thursday.
The crew and tourists managed to swim to Pandanan where they were rescued by the Coast Guard.  They’re now recuperating at the Caramoan Municipal Hospital, said Acevedo.
The Coast Guard reported that 80 passengers were stranded at the Pilar, Sorsogon seaport.  They’re among 619 passengers held in all Bicol region ports Friday.