5,127 guests

Mimaropa crime rate dips

  • Written by Alfred Dalizon
  • Published in Provincial
  • Read: 174

POLICE Regional Office 4-B director, Chief Superintendent Wilben M. Mayor yesterday noted a significant crime reduction in the entire Mimaropa region as a result of their aggressive campaign against illegal drug trafficking and abuse anchored on the Philippine National Police Oplan: Tokhang and Project: Double Barrel.

Mayor said they recorded a total of 932 crimes from January to last August compared to the 1,467 recorded during the same period in 2015 or 535 crimes less.

The former PNP spokesman said the Average Monthly Crime Rate of 24.32 percent recorded from July to August last year also decreased by 9.15 or 37.62 percent. Both  index and non-index  crimes also went down by 328 or 52.82 percent and 207 or 24.47 percent respectively.

On the other hand, crimes against persons decreased by 92 or 35.52 percent from 259 incidents to 16 during the same comparative period.

Cases of physical injury and rape and crimes against property also decreased by 236 or 65.19 percent compared to the 362 incidents recorded during the same period last year or a reduction of 126 incidents. He said that cases of robbery, cattle-rustling, motornapping and theft also significantly went down during the period.
   
He attributed the reduction in crime in Mimaropa region to the success of their anti-drug campaign since last July 1.
   
Mayor said that as of last September 15,  another 168 confessed drug personalities in the region surrendered as a result of their own Oplan: Tokhang. So far, 18,176 drug dealers and users in the region have turned themselves over to the local police.
   
They include 16,609 confessed drug dependents and 1,567 drug traffickers.
   
Mayor said that during the period, 237 known drug personalities in the region were arrested, the latest of them 14 known shabu dealers in the region including Rolando Mahilum.
   
Mahilum, a 37-year old farmer from Barangay Berong, Quezon, Palawan is now under the custody of the Quezon Municipal Police Station. The suspect is included in the watch list of illegal drug personalities in the province and is the subject of six warrants of arrest for rape with sexual assault and acts of lasciviousness issued by Judge Jose Bayani Usman of the Puerto Princesa City Regional Trial Court Branch 50.