HE was already under “police restrictive custody” but embattled Superintendent Rafael Dumlao on Friday night used his being a lawyer to leave Camp Crame and later dispute the warrant of arrest about to be served on him in his Antipolo City residence by a team of officers from the Philippine National Police.
In skirting jail, Dumlao maintained that he is not the “alias Dumlao” named in the warrant of arrest issued by a court in connection with the kidnapping and murder of Korean businessman Jee Ick-Joo last October 18.
Dumlao, a former team leader of the PNP Anti-Illegal Drugs Group, was identified by one of his men, Senior Police Officer 3 Ricky Sta. Isabel, as the one who killed the Korean inside his vehicle. However, another witness said it was Sta. Isabel who strangled the foreigner to death.
A member of the Philippine Bar, Dumlao told the police team led by Chief Superintendent Sonny Philip M. Phillipps, a lawyer-director of the PNP Headquarters Support Service, and Senior Supt. Benjamin Acorda, the deputy director for operations of the PNP–AIDG, that there is no basis to place him under arrest. He also told the media the arrest warrant was invalid since it only states the name “alias Dumlao” and not his full name.
Journal Group sources said that Dumlao left the headquarters of the PNP-HSS where he had been placed under restrictive custody and took a taxi in going to his house in Antipolo City. Officers immediately followed him but he tried to make a scene prompting the Camp Crame-based officers to leave the place in order not to aggravate the situation.
However, guards have been reportedly posted outside Dumlao’s residence to ensure that he won’t be able to escape in the event the proper warrant for his arrest is issued.
PNP spokesman Senior Supt. Dionardo B. Carlos maintained that the warrant of arrest will be served. “We will continue to serve that warrant, basta ang tinutukoy natin diyan ay si Atty. Rafael Dumlao. if that’s the case, para hindi magkaroon ng legal problems diyan, ika-clarify iyan sa issuing court,” he said.
Dumlao is a former personnel of the PNP Communications and Electronics Service who studied law and went on to pass the Bar. He eventually was accepted into the former PNP Anti-Illegal Drugs Special Operations Task Force, now the PNP-AIDG by officials who hoped they could use his being a lawyer to help them prepare successful anti-drug cases.
However, a veteran AIDG official said Dumlao was relieved from the AIDSOTF for being a “non-performer” but managed to return to the same unit late last year.
The camp of Senior Police Officer 3 Ricky Sta. Isabel insisted that authorities listen to the “conspiracy” audio that could prove the policeman’s innocence in the killing of Korean businessman Jee Ick Joo.
Sta.Isabel’s wife Jinky has pleaded to have the audio recording played at the Senat. but this was not allowed by Sen Panfilo Lacson.
Jinky said she is willing to go to jail just to have the audio recording played at the Senate.
Her husband Ricky is also willing to go to jail just to prove he did not kill Korean, Jinky said.
“Actually willing naman po ako magpakulong ng six years para lang malaman yung katotohanan. Ganun din po yung sinabi ng asawa ko para ma-play lang po yung usapan namin ng kanyang boss na si Atty. Rafael Dumlao III,” Jinky said.
Jinky claims that the audio recording will reveal that Dumlao, team leader of the PNP anti-illegal drugs group, was asking Ricky to kill policemen from Pampanga.
On Thursday, the Senate public order committee refused to play the audio recording despite repeated appeals.
The audio recording is purportedly conversations between Dumlao and Jinky.
Lacson, who chairs the committee looking into Jee’s case, also barred Jinky from joining the hearing, dismissing her claims as merely “hearsay.”
No charges yet
The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has yet to file administrative charges against a barangay captain who owns the funeral parlor where the body of Korean Jeck Ick Joo was brought on orders of his captors and killers.
In a statement, the DILG said yesterday that Chairman Gerardo Santiago of Brgy. 165, Caloocan City has not been included yet in the charge sheet which is why no administrative case can be taken against him as for now.
Santiago, owner of Gream Funeral Homes, came back from Toronto, Canada Friday morning where he was fetched by agents of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).
He denied any involvement in the celebrated “Tokhang-for-ransom” case.
Reports said that Jee’s body was brought to Gream Funeral before he was cremated and his ashes were flushed in the toilet to avoid detection.
Santiago, a retired police officer, said he is willing to cooperate with the government.