SHOWING his great frustration over how drug lords have operated with impunity using their money to buy influence from powerful rogue politicians, judges and law enforcers, Philippine National Police chief Director General Ronald “Bato” de la Rosa yesterday urged drug suspects who have surrendered to the police to “kill drug lords and torch their houses” as a form of revenge.
Speaking in front of around 1,200 confessed drug dealers and users who have surrendered as a result of the ongoing PNP “Oplan: Tokhang” in Bacolod City, the top cop said that if it’s possible, drug lords should be killed and their posh houses razed to the ground to prevent them and their families from enjoying the “fruits” of their crime.
“Nag-eenjoy sila sa pera na galing sa inyo, pera na nakakasira sa inyong utak habang sumasaya sila. Kilala n’yo sino ang drug lord dito. Gusto n’yong patayin? Patayin n’yo. Pwede kayong pumatay dahil kayo ang biktima. Kilala n’yo naman ang mga drug lord dito. Puntahan n’yo ang bahay, buhusan n’yo ng gasolina, sigaan ninyo. Ipakita n’yong galit kayo sa kanila,” he said.
Since July 1 to date, nearly 680,000 confessed drug traffickers and users have surrendered to the police as a result of the “Oplan: Tokhang” while 11,784 were arrested, nearly 7,000 of them drug dealers.
Seven hundred fifty six notorious drug suspects were killed in gunbattles with the police.
PNP ANTI-DRUG DRIVE ACHIEVEMENT
The PNP chief said that the Duterte government’s campaign against illegal drug trafficking and abuse continues to gain momentum as manifested by the number of surrenderers as a result of their “Oplan: Tokhang.” He added that their Project: “Double Barrel” has also contributed to a significant reduction in the country’s total crime volume.
De la Rosa said that their anti-drug programs so far have achieved the following: Revealed the true picture and magnitude of the drug problem in the country, persuaded drug suspects to appear voluntarily to the authorities, intensified police operations resulted in the reduction of crime incidents, and the government’s war on drugs is highly-appreciated and supported by the public.
He particularly noted a drastic reduction in the number of homicide, robbery, theft, carnapping, motornapping and physical injuries since July 1.
Citing official crime statistics, the PNP chief said that the reduced crime rate can be seen with the PNP recording a total of 342,227 crimes from January to July this year compared to the 483,936 total crime volume during the same period in 2015.
Since the start of the Duterte presidency, police have already seized around P943 million worth of shabu and other dangerous drugs.
ROGUES IN UNIFORM NO PLACE IN ORGANIZATION
De la Rosa stressed that rogues in police uniform have no place in the organization.
He said that 130 police officers and men, who tested positive for substance abuse this year, are facing administrative charges that may merit their dismissal from the service.
Another 11 policemen involved in drug trafficking have been killed in firefights with their colleagues.
Last Tuesday, the PNP chief faced two of the Antipolo City policemen accused by a woman during a Senate inquiry of kidnapping and killing her parents, whom she said were turned into “assets” by the suspects and tasked to sell shabu they confiscated during their anti-narcotics operations.
In their meeting at the Rizal Provincial Police Office in Taytay, Rizal, De la Rosa warned PO1 Reynald Rabe and PO2 Dennis Malabanan that they would be dismissed from the service and charged in court if the claims of Sen. Leila de Lima’s witness, Mary Rose Aquino, were found to have basis.
“If you’re a good cop, I’ll be with you wherever this leads. If you did wrong, if this affidavit of the daughter were true, you would really answer to me,” he told the two lawmen, who vehemently denied the charges against them and vowed to clear their names before the proper forum.
Rabe, Malabanan and another colleague, PO2 Dave Barcelo, have been ordered transferred to the PNP Personnel Administrative Holding Unit in Camp Crame.