PILI, Camarines Sur -- Damages caused by a fire that hit the public market here late Monday are still being determined by arson investigators, the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) here reported yesterday.
Pili BFP chief SFO1 Rommel Baduya said the fire that lasted for more than an hour gutted at least 16 public market stalls for dried fish, carenderia, eateries and tailoring sections at the public market.
Baduya said local firefighters were not able to put out the blaze due to shortage of water supply but firefighters from Naga City and other towns were able to put out the fire and prevented it from spreading to the market complex.
SFO1 Niño de Jesus said the fire was caused by a gas lamp left unattended by Marites Salceda inside a market stall when she left at 10 p.m. Monday. Luckily, five of her children were able to run away when the eldest woke his siblings up as the fire had already spread in adjacent market stalls.
Pili town Mayor Tomas Bongalonta had ordered the Public Market Office to assess the damage and extend relief goods to the affected market stall owners.