4,657 guests

After Trump win, Duterte warms up to US

  • Written by Efren Montano
  • Published in Nation
  • Read: 188

“AYAW kong makipagaway kasi nandyan na si Trump.”

President Rodrigo Duterte made this remark as he indicated a change of heart in his approach to the United States, which has elected a new leader in Donald Trump.

Duterte appeared to have changed his attitude toward the Philippines’ long-time security ally when he pointed out “similarities” between him and the incoming U.S. president.

“Ayaw kong makipag-away kasi nandyan na si Trump. I would like to congratulate President Trump. Mabuhay ka!” Duterte said in a speech before the Filipino community in Malaysia.

“Pareho tayo nagmumura. Konting rason lang, mura kaagad. Medyo pare-pareho kami.”
   
Duterte also admitted receiving advice to tone down on his anti-U.S. rhetoric following Trump’s victory. He did not identified who gave him the advice.
   
“Ayaw ko po ng kalaban, but I cannot also – sabi kasi nila, ‘tutal tapos na ang election, nanalo na si Trump, why don’t you just shut up?”
   
Reports said that Trump’s victory, who is known for his protectionist and isolationist policies, may be favorable for Duterte, who has strongly criticized U.S. intervention in Philippine affairs.
     
Duterte said he hopes that Trump will govern the U.S. the way he promised during his campaign.
   
“I would like to congratulate President Trump for his victory, and I wish he will govern the way he promised the American people,” he said.
   
He also hopes the Trump administration will honor its treaties and obligations to the Philippines.
   
“I never wanted any quarrel with anybody so I wish President Trump that he will honor our obligations and treaties with the U.S.,” Duterte said.
   
For Duterte, it is not certain if the ties between the Philippines and the U.S. will change now that Trump is president.
   
“I really do not know kasi it would depend on the U.S.,” he said.

Meanwhile, about  2,000 Filipinos in Kuala Lumpur  welcomed Duterte upon his arrival in Kuala Lumpur Wednesday evening.
   
In his address to the members of the Filipino community present at the welcome gathering, he told them of his heightened campaign against drug abuse and corruption
   
Amid criticisms against his anti-drug campaign, Duterte encouraged Pinoys in Malaysia to “fight for what is right,” Dailisan said.

Records showed that there are some 100,000 Filipinos in the capital Kuala Lumpur, and over 500,000 in the Sabah area.
   
Moreover, 60 percent of the Filipinos in the country are domestic helpers and the rest (40%) are skilled workers. About 27 Filipinos are  on death row in Malaysia but a moratorium on executions has been in effect.