PHILIPPINE National Police chief Director General Ronald “Bato” M. dela Rosa yesterday said he has ordered the transfer to Jolo, Sulu, of a Makati City Police Station official and four of his subordinates accused of extorting P750,000 from a Singaporean national whom they threatened with drug-related charges.
The PNP chief did not identify the five Makati policemen but said they are undergoing administrative investigation for demanding P750,000 from the unnamed Singaporean national whom they initially questioned for his alleged involvement in illegal drug activities. The top cop said he instructed National Capital Region Police Office director Chief Supt. Oscar D. Albayalde to see to it that the truth will come out in the case of the Singaporean and the Makati policemen.
Dela Rosa said that it was him who asked the Makati City police to validate the information he received regarding the alleged drug activities of the Singaporean. “The information regarding the Singaporean was supposed to be subjected to validation but instead, the accused demanded P750,000 from him on the pretext that his name will be removed from the PNP watchlist,” he said.
He was referring to the ongoing PNP Oplan: Tokhang (knock and plead) which started last July 1. So far, police have visited nearly 2.94 million houses of suspected drug personalities across the country, prompting the surrender of nearly 55,000 confessed drug dealers and some 702,000 drug users.
Dela Rosa said he has asked his men to look for a retired police major working as a security officer in the building where the Singaporean was holding office. He said he wants the retired cop to answer charges that the money for the Makati policemen was coursed thru him by the Singaporean.
Gen. Dela Rosa also welcomed a reported South Korean investigation into the killings of some Koreans in the country. However, he assured that since they launched the war on drugs, they have noted a reduction in cases involving foreigners, including Koreans.