POLICE Regional Office 4 - B director, Chief Superintendent Wilben M. Mayor yesterday said the selection of two Mimaropa governors as among the 10 governors to be cited by the Duterte government for stemming the illegal drug trade in their provinces will further inspire them to do more in the crackdown against drugs in the region.
Romblon Governor Eduardo Firmalo and Palawan Gov. Jose Alvarez are among the 10 provincial governors whose names were submitted by Department of the Interior and Local Government Secretary Ismael ‘Mike’ Sueno to the Palace for their outstanding contributions to the government’s war versus drugs.
Others are Ilocos Norte Gov. Imee Marcos, Isabela Gov. Faustino Dy III, Quirino Gov. Junie Cua, Negros Occidental Gov. Alfredo Marañon, Bohol Gov. Edgardo Chatto, Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide III, South Cotabato Gov. Daisy Avance-Fuentes and Agusan del Norte Gov. Ma. Angelica Rosedell Amante.
“I have presided over a command conference and mentioned the names of Governors Firmalo and Alvarez to my officers, the members of the command group and directorial staff and provincial and city directors in particular to serve as an inspiration to the Mimaropa police to work more in our campaign against illegal drugs. We have to triple our effort on this to attain and comply with the instruction of the Chief, Philippine National Police, Director General Ronald dela Rosa,” Mayor told the Journal Group.
The former PNP spokesman, a lawyer from Philippine Military Academy 'Sandiwa' Class of 1985, said the PRO4-B’s no-nonsense war against drugs in the provinces of Mindoro Oriental, Mindoro Occidental, Marinduque, Romblon and Palawan have resulted in a continuing reduction of crime in the region.
Mayor said that during the past seven weeks’ implementation of the PNP Oplan: Tokhang and Project: Double Barrel, they have recorded the voluntary surrender of 16,532 confessed drug dealers and users or an increase of 298 from the previous 16,234.
He also said that another 142 wanted drug personalities in the region have been arrested in buy-bust operations, service of search warrants and police responses. During the same period, three armed drug traffickers in the region have been killed in gun battles with the police, the latest of them Manuel Piliin alias “Manny”, a resident of Sitio Catmon, Barangay Sumagui, Bansud, Oriental Mindoro.
The suspect exchanged fire with officers of the Bansud Municipal Police Station led by Senior Inspector Marfredo Dulatre past 8 p.m. last August 16 and was killed in an ensuing firefight. Mayor said that the local police were about to serve a warrant for violation of Republic Act 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 issued against the suspect when he resisted and fired shots at the lawmen using a caliber .38 revolver.
Although surrounded and with no chance to escape, the suspect tied a live electric wire at the doorknob of his main door prompting the officers to use a wooden chair to forcibly open the door to avoid being electrocuted. The suspect was killed when he engaged the lawmen in a brief exchange of fire.
Recovered from the possession of the slain suspect were a loaded .38 revolver and two plastic sachets containing shabu.
Mayor said that the growing number of drug personalities surrendering to the police in the region has triggered a continuing reduction in crimes. From a high of 757 total crimes in July 2015, he said that they have recorded a notable decrease of 295 crimes or 38.97 percent reduction last month compared to the same period in 2015.
Crimes against persons and property also decreased by 201 or 60.54 percent from 332 in 2015 to 131 last month while violations of special laws (non-index crimes)decreased by 94 crimes or 22.12 percent from 425 in 2015 to 331 last month respectively.