4,608 guests

CDS kill 5 more for drugs

  • Written by Edd Reyes
  • Published in Metro
  • Read: 194

THE body count on war against drug allegedly perpetrated by vigilante group “Caloocan Death Squad” (CDS) went up by five over a four-hour period before dawn yesterday in Caloocan City.

Caloocan police chief Senior Supt. Johnson Almazan said the latest victims, identified as Jay-M Soriano, 17, of Pitong Bahay, Bgy. 177, Maligaya, and his close friend, Jefferson Beltran, 21, of Mother Ignacia, Tuazon St., Quezon City, died on the spot from gunshot wounds in their bodies.

The slain suspects were known members of a robbery-holdup group and were also involved in theft cases and drug peddling.
Caloocan Police Community Precinct (PCP) 5 Desk Officer PO2 Allan Martinez said a witness, identified as Melody Acla, 38, of Blk. 19, Berong Street, was inside her house when she heard successive gunshots at 4 a.m. When she went out to verify, she saw the lifeless body of the victims sprawled along the road.
Police recovered several empty shells for unknown caliber of firearm and a coin purse from the waist of Beltran containing two plastic sachets of shabu. Soriano’s elder sister Jane, 24, admitted to the police that his brother and his friend were involved in drug peddling, robbery and theft.
Earlier at 12:40 a.m.. Joseph Tingzon, 42, was inside his house in Phase 8A, Package 11, Blk. 189, Lot 14, Bagong Silang, when two alleged members of CDS both wearing bonnets and face masks forcibly barged in and shot him several times.
After the killing, the suspects fled on a single motorcycle without plate number. The victim’s sister, Jocelyn Melendrez, 35, admitted to police that his brother was involved in illegal drug activities. Four empty shells for cal. .45 pistol were recovered at the scene.
Thirty minutes earlier, three armed men, all wearing bonnets and face masks, forcibly barged in at Phase 2, Package 2, Block 40, Lot 1, Bgy. 176, Bagong Silang, and shot Carlos Tan, 54, and his companion, identified only as certain “Mark”, 25-30 years old, 5’3” in height and wearing yellow T-shirt.
The suspects quickly escaped on three motorcycles driven by their cohorts.
Mark died on the spot while Tan was rushed by his relatives to Tala Hospital where he succumbed to bullet wounds in his body.
Police recovered at the scene several drug paraphernalia and two empty shells for cal. .45 pistol.
Information gathered by police in the area revealed that Tan was involved in illegal drug activities.