6,440 guests

Druggie ‘rises from dead’ before shocked mediamen

  • Written by Itchie Cabayan
  • Published in Metro
  • Read: 312

A SUSPECTED drug suspect, who was supposed to have been killed along with five others in one of simultaneous drug operations conducted by the Manila Police District (MPD) in various parts of the city the other day until yesterday, ‘rose from the dead’ before shocked mediamen. 

Police Officers 3 Marlon San Pedro and Dennis Turla of the Manila Police District-Homicide Section identified the slain suspects as George Huggins, 45, said to be a member of the ‘Sputnik Gang’ and residing at 1149 Villa San Antonio St., Singalong, Malate, Manila; Dante Petate Sr., 50, and his son Dante Jr., 31, both of 2073 Jimenez St., San Andres Bukid, Manila; a certain alias ‘Buko’, 25 to 30 years old and about 5’5” tall; and Asrap Palandane, 23, a pedicab driver, of 12th St., Port Area, Manila.
The sixth supposed fatality was identified as  Francisco Maneja Jr., alias ‘Jhay-R’, 28, of Maria Orosa Street, Malate, Manila.
The first fatality, Palandane, was shot dead at around 7:10 p.m along an alley on 12th St., Port Area, Manila, by a still unknown gunman. Palandane was said to be a drug pusher in the area.
At around 8:10 p.m., Buko was killed in a buy-bust conducted by the MPD-Police Station 7 at the PNR Railroad on Lambingan Street in Tondo, Manila. Police confiscated from him three sachets of shabu and a .22-cal. firearm.
Huggins and Maneja were shot dead at 12:30 a.m. allegedly also during a buy-bust. Police said  the two were reportedly on board a mobile tricycle and transacting a drug sale with poseur-buyer PO1 Orlando Gonzales when they sensed that the latter was cop.
Maneja reportedly pushed the cop out of the tricycle when it reached Aldecoa Street near the service road of Roxas Boulevard  and then fired shots but missed the cop, before they sped away. They were pursued by Gonzales and a shootout occurred resulting in the death of Huggins.
The cops also thought that Maneja was dead but when members of the media arrived at the scene, he stood up and asked that be brought to the nearest hospital since he was wounded. He also denied that they owned the gun and drugs as per the police version.
Meanwhile, at around 2:30 a.m., the Petates were killed by a team led by Senior Inspector Joselito de la Paz of the MPD- Station 6. The cops were reportedly armed with a search warrant issued by Judge Virgilio Macaraeg of the  Manila Regional Trial Court Branch 37.
When their knocks remain unanswered, the police forced the door open but were allegedly met by a volley of gunfire from the elder Petate. Police returned fire, resulting in the instant death of the Petates who took several bullets in the body.