7,992 guests

DepEd seeks tighter security at schools

  • Written by Arlene Rivera
  • Published in Nation
  • Read: 276

THE Department of Education (DepEd) asked the Philippine National Police for more police visibility around schools a number of which have recently received bomb threats.

In a statement issued yesterday by the DepEd, officials said in the aftermath of the recent bombing in Davao City, bomb threats have been reported in schools around the country causing disruption of classes, panic and unnecessary stress.

“While the bomb threats turned out to be a hoax, we reiterate our call for police visibility near the schools,” the DepEd said.

The DepEd also asked school officials to intensify security and be extra vigilant to ensure the safety of teachers, students, and personnel.

“We also remind our school officials to intensify security and be extra vigilant to ensure the safety of our teachers, students, and personnel,” DepEd  also said.
The education department also urged the public to report terror threats to the police and to avoid spreading unverified information about them.
National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) director Chief Supt. Oscar Albayalde on Tuesday appealed to the public to stay calm amid the bomb threats being spread in Metro Manila.
On Monday four schools near Malacanang Palace in Manila suspended classes after receiving bomb threats.
After a thorough inspection, authorities eventually confirmed that they found no bombs at the Centro Escolar University (CEU), San Beda College, Eulogio “Amang” Rodriguez Institute of Science and Technology (EARIST) and the College of the Holy Spirit-Manila (CHSM).
Five other schools received bomb threats on Tuesday: Centro Escolar University; Cavite State University ;Bulacan State University; Sta. Ana Elementary School in Davao City; College of San Benildo-Rizal in Antipolo City and Centro Escolar University
Earlier the DepEd requested additional police presence around schools in Davao City as classes resumed after the bombing incident which claimed the lives of many innocent civilians and injured 67 others.