NATIONAL Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) director Chief Superintendent Oscar D. Albayalde yesterday said they are all set to implement the Philippine National Police’s Oplan: Tokhang in exclusive subdivisions, condominium units and call center offices in Metro Manila. Amid reports that shabu, marijuana and the designer drug called ‘Ecstasy’ are being abused in these areas, Albayalde said he has ordered his field commanders to step up the conduct of Oplan: Tokhang in posh villages, high-rise condominium units and Business Process Outsourcing or BPO offices in the metropolis.
The NCRPO director acknowledged the effectiveness of Oplan: Tokhang and the PNP: Project Double Barrel in suppressing the supply and consumption of illegal drugs in Metro Manila as the number of confessed drug dealers and users in the metropolis continue to increase.
As a result, he expressed belief that involving gated upscale villages and guarded condominium units would lead to further cleansing of illegal drug personalities metro-wide.
At present, Albayalde said the five NCRPO district directors, chiefs of police and station commanders are coordinating their effort to pursue Oplan: Tokhang in so-called rich enclaves with the help of local government units and different homeowners’ associations.
Albayalde said that from July 1 to September 1, their enforcement of Oplan: Tokhang led to the surrender of 41,819 confessed drug dependents and traffickers, the arrest of 3,891 others and the killing of 294 armed drug dealers during gunbattles with the police.
“We are on our second month on the war against illegal drugs and we renew our commitment to accomplish the marching order of President Duterte by encouraging everyone to be involved in this campaign. Kakatok kami sa bawat pinto hindi lang para magbigay ng babala kundi para hingiin din ang kooperasyon at tulong ng bawat mamamayan sa komunidad sa buong Maynila, village man ’yan, condominium o BPO offices,” Albayalde said.
The PNP Oplan: Tokhang has resulted in the surrender of over 600,000 confessed drug dealers and users across the country since July 1, a report to Philippine National Police chief, Director General Ronald “Bato” M. dela Rosa said.
Last week, a drug-using member of the Taguig City Police Station living near a Quezon City Police District station became the first PNP personnel to be accounted for by the PNP in the wake of the stepped-up implementation of Oplan: Tokhang.
Police Officer 3 Liberato ‘Levy’ Calda turned himself over to the Quezon City Police District Station 6 in Batasan, Q.C. after local policemen conducting Oplan: Tokhang knocked on the door of his house not knowing that is a member of the 160,000-strong police force, said Q.C. Police District director, Senior Superintendent Guillermo Lorenzo T. Eleazar.
“He (Calda) was No. 68 in the Station 6 watchlist and my men last August 18 knocked on his door and persuaded him to give up not knowing he is also a policeman since his rank was not indicated in the list. He literally was a neighbor to the QCPD Station 6 personnel,” said Eleazar in a report to National Capital Region Police Office director, Chief Supt. Oscar D. Albayalde.
Eleazar said that as of yesterday, 7,450 confessed drug traffickers and users in Q.C. have already surrendered as a result of Oplan: Tokhang. He said that 850 others were arrested while 59 were killed in in anti-narcotics operations. So far, Eleazar said that QCPD men have already knocked on the houses of 9,781 suspected drug personalities in Q.C.
At least 130 policemen across the country have tested positive for substance abuse and are now facing administrative charges which could merit their dismissal from the force.