4,826 guests

PNP digs deeper into ex-CIDG-Bicol chief's death

  • Written by GEMI FORMARAN
  • Published in Provincial
  • Read: 558

LUCENA City -- Police are digging deeper into the death of a retired police colonel, who reportedly died in a gun accidental discharge while cleaning his pistol inside his garage in Bgy. Malinao Ibaba in Atimonan on Saturday.

Chief Insp. Rizaldy Merene, the town police commander, said that while waiting for the results from Scene of the Crime Operatives (SOCO) who processed the investigation, the local police are also doing their own investigation on the death of retired Senior Supt. Ireneo Inal, 61, of said village.
In a phone interview, Merene told this writer that they are still waiting for the results of autopsy examination and paraffin test conducted by elements of Quezon PNP Provincial Crime Laboratory Office at Camp Guillermo Nakar in this city.
He said the recovered cal. 9mm pistol at the scene will be subjected to ballistic test to see if its bullets will match with the slug found at the victim's chest.
But while waiting for the outcome of the investigation, Merene said his office is also doing separate probe on the incident.
Prior to the incident, he said Inal, accompanied by his house boy Marlon Pizzaro, went outside of his house and proceeded to the garage some five meters away to clean his 9mm Taurus pistol at 8:15 a.m.
“Sinamahan pa daw ang biktima ng kanyang boy papunta sa garahe may limang metro ang layo sa bahay para umano maglinis ng kanyang baril,” said Merene.
A few minutes later, Merene said Pizzaro, who went back to the house, told probers that he heard a gunshot from the garage.
“Kaya dali-dali daw siya (Pizzaro) na bumalik sa garahe kung saan nakita niya ang amo na wala nang buhay habang nakabulagta at may tama ng bala sa dibdib,” he said.
Merene said responding policemen recovered the pistol beside the body. He said a bullet case for cal. 9mm, two magazines and 19 live bullets were also recovered.
Asked why responding policemen did not rush Inal to the hospital, Merene replied, “Patay na daw kasi ang biktima kaya itinawag na lang ng mga pulis ko sa SOCO sa Lucena para ang mga ito na ang mag-process sa scene of the incident.”